Borussia Dortmund new signing Sebastien Haller has been diagnosed with testicular cancer

Borussia Dortmund striker Sebastien Haller is diagnosed with testicular cancer after feeling ‘unwell’ in training, with the club’s new £31m signing returning from a pre-season tour in Switzerland to undergo “other examinations”

  • Sebastien Haller only joined Borussia Dortmund from Ajax earlier this month
  • He complained of not feeling well at training on Monday morning
  • After undergoing medical examinations, a tumor was discovered in his testicles
  • Haller returned to Germany after his cancer diagnosis
  • He will now have further tests to determine the next course of action.

Borussia Dortmund have confirmed striker Sebastien Haller has been diagnosed with testicular cancer after falling ‘ill’ in training on Monday.

The Ivorian only arrived at the Bundesliga club earlier this month after completing his move from Ajax for £31million.

Dortmund released a statement on Monday evening providing an update on Haller’s condition.

Borussia Dortmunf striker Sébastien Haller fell ill in training on Monday morning.

He went for tests and has now been confirmed to have testicular cancer

He went for tests and has now been confirmed to have testicular cancer

Haller only completed his move to Dortmund from Dutch champions Ajax earlier this month

Haller only completed his move to Dortmund from Dutch champions Ajax earlier this month

“Borussia Dortmund striker Sebastien Haller had to leave the BVB training camp in Bad Ragaz, Switzerland early due to illness and has already returned to Dortmund,” the statement read.

“The 28-year-old Ivory Coast international complained of feeling unwell after training on Monday morning.

“During intensive medical examinations, a tumor was finally discovered in the testicles during the day. Over the next few days, further examinations will take place at a specialized medical centre.

“Borussia Dortmund asks that the privacy of the player and his family be respected and that no questions be asked. As soon as we have more information, we will inform you in consultation with the player.

The club’s sporting director Sebastian Kehl admitted the news had shocked everyone and insisted Dortmund would support Haller in his recovery.

Haller will now undergo further tests to decide how he will be treated in the future

Haller will now undergo further tests to decide how he will be treated in the future

Sporting director Sebastian Kehl said the club would support Haller in any way possible

Sporting director Sebastian Kehl said the club would support Haller in any way possible

“Today’s news was a shock for Sébastien Haller and for all of us. The whole BVB family wishes Sébastien a full recovery as soon as possible and that we can hug him again soon.

“We will do everything in our power to ensure that he receives the best possible treatment,” he said.

Haller had the best goalscoring season of his career last season, netting 34 goals in all competitions for Ajax.

He was particularly impressive in the Champions League as he netted 11 times in just eight appearances before the Amsterdam club were knocked out in the Round of 16.

His move to Dortmund looked set to see him fill the void left by Erling Haaland, who joined Manchester City earlier this summer.

However, he hasn’t had the chance to make a competitive appearance for Dortmund yet.

Comments are closed.