Court orders psychological assessment for man who brought hammer to Columbus statue – Eye Witness News



Man Called “Michael the Archangel” Claims He Was Touched by the Holy Spirit

Case adjourned to November 15

NASSAU, BAHAMAS – Shervandaze “Archangel” Smith insisted in court yesterday that he was in his right mind when he took a hammer against the statue of Christopher Columbus on the grounds of Government House on Saturday, and that he did for a divine purpose after being touched by God.

Smith was arrested on Saturday after damaging the statue’s right leg.

The incident, which was caught on camera and went viral, sparked a nationwide debate over colonial monuments in iconic locations across the Bahamas.

He appeared before Chief Magistrate Joyann Ferguson-Pratt yesterday on charges of trespassing and damage to the statue.

Shervandaze Smith, who at the time called himself “Michael the Archangel”, was arrested on Saturday, October 9 after allegedly using a hammer to partially demolish the statue of Christopher Columbus at Government House.

Smith’s mother Sheryl Brown appealed to the court for a psychiatric assessment, telling the judge he had had episodes in the past and the family feared he was no longer the person they were. it was.

“We have not seen this person,” she told the chief magistrate.

According to Brown, his son has never been examined, although he has seen renowned psychiatrist Dr. David Allen before.

As she spoke, Smith raised his hand, but was informed that he would be allowed to address the court during the proceedings.

“When did the behavior start? Asked the judge.

“The first event was two years ago,” replied the mother.

The judge asked if the behavior had continued since then, to which the mother answered yes.

Smith interjected, “What behavior?

When addressing the court, Smith said he met the former international senior pastor of the Bahamas Faith Ministries, the late Dr Myles Munroe, who told him he would learn of his purpose.

According to Smith, God touched him and that is why “I am not afraid to plead guilty.”

However, the court did not accept a plea.

“My mom knew this all the time after I discovered my life purpose,” he continued.

“It was a difficult time going through what they call a ‘spiritual awakening’, or it’s called being [touched] by God.

“My mother is [in] denial because there is [are] some things I discovered after being touched by the Holy Spirit that she doesn’t want people to know… ”

Ferguson-Pratt indicated that she was not convinced she should accept a plea from Smith until he had a psychiatric assessment to determine “compos mentis” (having full control of his mind).

She indicated that she would ask for the assessment to be expedited.

“I am afraid that you are working as a mentally competent person and I have to make sure that according to the law,” the judge said.

She said she was concerned about his well-being and the well-being of others and wanted to refer him for a psychiatric evaluation.

But the judge said she was told there was a moratorium on admissions to the Sandilands Rehabilitation Center due to a lack of space.

She said availability at the facility would be checked, but if there was still no room, Smith would be referred to the Bahamian Department of Corrections for assessment, and if a place becomes available at Sandilands, he will be transferred there until the case can proceed.

The case was adjourned until November 15.

Smith’s attorney, Donna Major, has asked the court to consider placing Smith in the infirmary for his safety. The judge said it was a question for the Corrections Commissioner, but that a note will be placed on Smith’s remand.

Smith bowed his head as the judge spoke.

When asked if he would like to speak with his mother, Smith replied that he had nothing to say to her because God knows what she did.

He claimed his mother made it look like he was crazy, but he previously worked as a personal butler at Sandals.

He told court he left his mother’s home three years ago and traveled to the United States, where he then lived on the streets and did not commit any crime.

He asked how he could do all of this if he was crazy.

Smith was also represented by lawyer Maria Daxon.


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.