NEET-SS to Follow Old Model This Year, Center Says to Supreme Court | Latest India News

0


[ad_1]

The Center informed the Supreme Court on Wednesday that in “the interests of the students,” it had decided to implement the revised model for the National Entrance Examination for the Super Specialty Admission Test (NEET-SS) at from the next academic year.

He also said authorities may need a few more months to complete the review that was previously scheduled for November 12 and 13, as the whole process needs to be changed.

A bench of Judges Dhananjaya Y Chandrachud, Vikram Nath and BV Nagarathna rejected a batch of pleas from 41 medical graduates after Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Aishwarya Bhati said the revised model, which was announced on August 31, would not be included in the exams this year.

“Taking into account the interest of all the students who would have started the preparations for the next NEET-SS exam before the change of model was notified, a decision was taken by the Union government in consultation with the National Medical Commission (NMC) and the National Board of Examinations (NBE) to give effect to the modified model only from the 2022-2023 academic year, ”Bhati said.

“The Center will attempt to hold the exam within two months. But the whole process should take a little longer because the whole process in the new system has to be changed, ”she added.

Earlier, the Center had told the court that it had decided to postpone the exam until January 10 and 11, in order to give students enough time to prepare according to the new model. However, following his submissions today, he has yet to confirm review dates.

The Centre’s submission came a day after it was stopped by the highest court for making last-minute changes to the review model.

In their petitions, doctors complained that the exam was notified on July 23, but on August 31, the NBE, which organizes NEET-SS, announced a change in the exam model for NEET-SS. for admission to more than 4,200 places for MD (Doctorate in Medicine), M.Ch (Master of Surgery) and DrNB (Doctorate of National Board). Doctors said they prepared for the exam based on the old model that has been in use since 2018.

Recording the ASG submissions, the bench said: “Since the Union government and expert bodies have taken the decision to hold the following NEET-SS reviews for 2021-2022 based on the template which occupied the ground until the academic year 2020-2021, it is not necessary that this jurisdiction rule on the validity of the modified model proposed for 2022-2023 … In the circumstances, the requests under the Article 32 of the Constitution are classified.

After attorney Prashant Bhushan, who appeared for one of the petitioners, said that questions relating to the revised model should remain open as they would be implemented next year, the judiciary said: “This question ( regarding the modified examination model for 2022-23) is kept open.

In their pleadings, doctors pointed out that the existing examination model tested the candidate on his knowledge of the super-specialized stream he wished to pursue. The exam had 60% questions on the candidate’s chosen super specialty, while the remaining 40% tested the candidate on a mix of general specialty courses, one of which was general medicine.

Under the new model, 100% of the questions had to come from the general specialty course in general medicine.

The petitioners argued that clinical practice was an important component for admission to super specialty courses. For this reason, many physicians practiced in the super-specialty section to be admitted to the course of their choice. Some even quit their jobs and prepared for the exam for over a year.

The Center, however, argued that the model change was being considered with a view to reducing wasted seats in private and public medical colleges. Last year, 805 of the 4,286 seats remained vacant while in 2019, the vacant seats totaled 545, Bhati said.

As the judiciary sought to dissolve the vacancies, Bhati said that of 805 vacant super specialty seats reported in 2020, 561 were in private colleges.

In total, 414 colleges offer the super specialty course, of which 296 are private and 118 are government-run, she said, adding that the Center will need two months to conduct the exam because the entire process needs to be reworked.

“The brotherhood of physicians is justified because of the sensitivity of the Supreme Court to our cause. It is unfortunate that despite the services rendered by doctors over the past two years during Covid-19, the government has not made it easy for us. Now we are only hoping and waiting for the exams, which are already far behind schedule, to be organized at the earliest, to ensure that an academic year is not wasted, ”said lawyer Javedur Rehman, who appeared for the 41 doctors.

[ad_2]

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.